Wait, The Wolves Won? By Thirty? – Friday Sports Blast
The Timberwolves posted a lopsided win, Gopher men's basketball saw its season come to a close and the Twins fell in Spring Training... Here's a look at everything you missed on Thursday and what to look forward to on Friday.
- The Minnesota Timberwolves overcame an early 16-point deficit and beat the Pelicans 135-105 in New Orleans. Yes, I double checked it and it's true.
Wolves reserve Jaylen Nowell led Minnesota with 28 points, while rookie Anthony Edwards added 27 for the Wolves. The Timberwolves are now 8-29 on the season and will host Portland Saturday.
- The Gopher men's basketball team fell 79-75 to #9 Ohio State in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament. Minnesota's season ends with a record of 14-15.
- The Boston Red Sox beat the Minnesota Twins 5-4 in Ft. Myers, Florida. Twins rookie Alex Kirilloff provided a home run in the loss.
The Twins will take on Atlanta Friday at noon (WJON).
- The St. Cloud Technical and Community College baseball team played for the first time in 364 days and split a doubleheader with Hibbing at US Bank Stadium late Thursday night and early Friday morning.
The Cyclones fell 10-9 in the first game before winning the second game (which began at nearly 12:30 a.m.) 8-0.
HIGH SCHOOL SCORES
Waconia 65, Tech 54
Sauk Centre 49, Cathedral 43
River Lakes 8, Prairie Centre 0
Brainerd 62, Apollo 49
Rocori 73, Tech 66
Bemidji 55, Sartell 44
Sartell 8, Cathedral 1
- The Granite City Lumberjacks host the Alexandria Blizzard at Sports Arena East. Puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m. at Sports Arena East in Sauk Rapids.
- The St. Cloud Norsemen play host to Aberdeen at the MAC in St. Cloud. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:10 p.m.
- The Minnesota Wild will look for its third win in a row when they host Arizona at Xcel Energy Center. The game is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start at Xcel Energy Center (WJON).
- SCSU women's basketball opens the NCAA Tournament against Central Missouri. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. on AM 1390 Granite City Sports.
- SCSU men's hockey begins the Frozen Faceoff tournament in Grand Forks, North Dakota. The Huskies will take on a short-handed Colorado College team at 2:37 p.m.
The Huskies can be heard on The River 96.7 FM.