10 Percent of Minnesota Now in an Extreme Drought
Thursday's weekly update from the U.S. Drought Monitor says now 10 percent of the state is in an Extreme Drought. There are two pockets, one in southeastern Minnesota and one in northern Minnesota, including Wadena, Cass, Crow Wing, Aitkin and Carlton counties.
The Moderate Drought has expanded to 39 percent, up from 33 percent.
And, the Severe Drought is now at 75 percent, up from 73 percent.
There is no mention of rain in the forecast at least into the middle of next week. And, with temperatures soaring back into the 90s for several days this weekend, the drought will only get worse.
Here in St. Cloud, we've had seven inches of rain during the summer months of June, July and August, which is 4.22 inches below normal. But, the 4 1/2 inches of rain we've had in August is actually a little above normal for the month.
READ RELATED ARTICLES
- New Restaurant Opens in Downtown Sauk Rapids
- Highway 10,23 Construction Update
- New Fall, Winter Festivals Planned for Downtown St. Cloud
- Dunkin Store Officially Open in St. Cloud
- Stearns History Museum Access Pass At Local Libraries