Timberwolves Top OKC, Huskies Drop Weekend Opener to UMD
The Minnesota Timberwolves and Granite City Lumberjacks notched Friday night wins, while the St. Cloud State University men's hockey team, Minnesota Wild, and St. Cloud Norsemen came up short to start their weekend bids. On Saturday, the SCSU softball team will take the field for the third of their Spring Games in Florida.
- After trailing by two to end the first quarter, the Timberwolves outscored the Thunder in each of the next three frames to come out on top 138-101. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander led all scorers with 33 points for Oklahoma City. Karl-Anthony Towns and Naz Reid each put up 20 for Minnesota. The Wolves improve to 35-29 and will host Portland Saturday. Pre-game coverage tips off at 6:30 p.m. on AM 1240 and 95.3 FM WJON.
- The Lumberjacks beat Mason City 4-2 in game one of the final weekend series of the regular season. Nick Mountain led all scorers with two goals for Granite City. The Lumberjacks improve to 44-2 and the Toros fall to 32-13-1. The teams will close out the weekend with game two on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
- The no. 10/11 Huskies fell 3-2 to the no. 11/10 University of Minnesota-Duluth in overtime to kick off the final weekend series of the regular season. Kobe Roth led the comeback for UMD with a goal in the third and the game-winner in OT. Jami Krannila and Nick Perbix each netted one for SCSU. The Huskies fall to 17-12-4 while the Bulldogs improve to 17-14-4. The teams will conclude the series on Saturday at 7:00 p.m.
- The Norsemen fell to the Aberdeen Wings 4-3 in OT at home Friday night. Kyle Gaffney led all scorers with three goals for Aberdeen. Blake Mesenburg, Blake Perbix, and Max Strand each netted one for St. Cloud. The Norsemen fall to 28-14-1-1 and the Wings improve to 25-18-2-2. The teams will play game two in St. Cloud on Saturday at 7:00 p.m.
- The Wild were unable to hold off a late push and fell 5-4 to the Buffalo Sabres. Kirill Kaprizov led Minnesota with two goals. Kaapo Kähkönen made 33 saves and allowed four goals. The Wild fall to 32-18-3 and will host Dallas on Sunday afternoon. Pre-game coverage starts at 2:45 p.m. on AM 1240 and 95.3 FM WJON.
- The SCSU softball team will look to turn their luck around when they return to the field in Clermont, Florida Saturday for a doubleheader against Ferris State University and Northwood University. Game one starts at 10:15 a.m.