Norsemen Win, Bennies and Johnnies Earn Doubleheader Splits
The St. Cloud Norsemen earned a shutout win over Minot, the College of St. Benedict softball team and St. John's University baseball team each earned a split in their doubleheaders, the St. Cloud State University softball team came up short in both of their games, and the Minnesota Twins dropped game two to Seattle on Saturday. On Sunday the St. Cloud State and SCTCC baseball teams will both play doubleheaders, the Minnesota Wild will return to the ice, and the Timberwolves will close out the regular season against Chicago.
- The Norsemen earned a 2-0 shutout win over Minot to complete the weekend series sweep. Evan Murr and Blake Perbix each lit the lamp once for St. Cloud. Ethan Dahlmeir made a perfect 29 saves in the win. The Norsemen improve to 39-16-2-1 and complete the season series 9-3 against the Minotauros. The team will hit the road to face the North Iowa Bulls on Friday in a regular-season-concluding series.
- The Bennies earned a split with Augsburg on the road on Saturday. St. Ben's earned the win in game one 1-0, but the Auggies took fame two 10-7. Gabby Spencer led CSB with three runs on the day. The Bennies are now 16-3 overall and will host Gustavus in a doubleheader on Sunday. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.
- The Johnnies earned a Saturday doubleheader split with Carleton College on Saturday. The Knights cleaned house in game one for a 5-1 win. St. John's rallied in game two to earn a close 10-9 win. Soren Roe led SJU with three runs on the day. Owen Dauk and Max Nyrop each added two runs. Ethan Roe earned the win in game two for the team with a walk-off home run on his lone hit of the day. The Johnnies are now 11-11 and will take on Bethel University on Sunday in a doubleheader. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.
- The SCSU softball team came up just short in both games of their doubleheader against Concordia University-St. Paul. The Golden Bears locked up game one 2-1 and game two 4-3. The Huskies fall to 20-11 and will close out the weekend with a doubleheader against no. 18 MSU-Mankato (25-9) at Selke Field on Sunday. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.
- The Twins lost game two of the season-opening series against the Seattle Mariners 4-3. Minnesota held the lead for much of the game but allowed two runs in the top of the ninth. Byron Buxton, Luis Arráez, and Nick Gordon each earned a run for the Twins. Sonny Gray threw four strikeouts and allowed four hits and two runs. Tyler Duffey threw one strikeout, allowed three hits, and gave up two runs in the final inning. The Twins fall to 0-2 and the Mariners improve to 2-0. The teams will play game three at Target Field on Sunday. Pre-game coverage starts at 12:00 p.m. on AM 1240 and 95.3 FM WJON.
- The SCSU baseball team (15-10) will head to St. Paul to take on Concordia University (15-10) in a doubleheader on Sunday. The Huskies are 36-16-1 all-time against the Golden Bears. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.
- The SCTCC baseball team (7-4) will play host to Ridgewater Community College (2-8) in a doubleheader on Sunday. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m. at Putz Field.
- The Timberwolves (46-35) will host the Chicago Bulls (45-36) on Sunday in their regular-season finale. Minnesota lost to Chicago 134-122 back in February. The game has no effect on the final standings with the Timberwolves locked into seventh place in the Western Conference and set to host the Clippers in the play-in tournament. Pre-game coverage tips off at 7:00 p.m. on AM 1240 and 95.3 FM WJON.
- The Wild (43-21-6) will look to get back on track when they host the Los Angeles Kings (38-25-10) on Sunday. This is the third matchup this season between the two teams. Minnesota beat the Kings 3-2 in October and Los Angeles topped the Wild 2-1 in December. Minnesota has now slipped down into third in the Western Conference with just a couple of weeks remaining in the regular season. Pre-game coverage begins at 3:45 p.m. on AM 1390 and 93.9 FM Granite City Sports.